Kong Hei Fatt Choi!!!

That means Wishing you great prosperity in Cantonese and that's what we wishes to our friends, relatives, family when we meet them during Chinese New Year.

Yes, Chinese New Year is just around the corner, this year happened to fall coinciding Valentine's Day.

When I was much much younger, like in primary school, during Chinese New Year, we would go back to visit my mom's hometown, that is in Lenggong, Perak, to visit my maternal grandparents.  It was really fun, especially for little kids like me and my sister.  Those days, the road was nasty, no highways, so travelling from my house to Lenggong will take 4 hours.  Moreover, the road from Ipoh to Lenggong is so winding, that sometimes we will have car sick.  But what I like best throughout the journey is the sleeping in the car part.  All my cousins will also be there for this festival.  So, we will have a lot of fun playing firecrackers, cycling, going on my uncle's motorcycle, and just walking around the village.  For a city girl like me, going back to Lenggong show me traditions that we do not know.

We stopped going back to Lenggong during CNY after my maternal grandparents passed away.  So, every CNY, we will just be here, around KL.  My family has a tradition on the first day of CNY.  We (my sister and me), must serve tea to our parents.  And in return, they will give us the red packet containing money (called angpow).  From kindergarten to primary to secondary school to college, CNY is the best time to save up.  Some uncles and aunties are so generous.  My sister and I won't miss the time counting our fortune.  

Now, we are all grown up.  My sister is already married and it's her chance now to give angpow.  Angpow is only given to unmarried children and once you are married, you stop receiving angpow and you have to give in return.  Times has changed.  Uncles and aunties are mostly retired now.  So, my angpow packets are lighter.  Also, now that I am earning, I am giving angpow to my parents.  Being unmarried at this age and a Chinese can sometimes be tiresome during this festival.  Countless relatives will ask when's your turn, etc, etc.  Since my sister got married and start spending CNY with her in-laws instead, my CNY has been very quiet.  Last year, I still go visiting with my parents.  But this year, I have decided to do my own visiting.  

Am I looking forward towards CNY now?  Yes, for some relaxing and not working time.  But I don't care so much about the angpow now.  Also, since coming into Sahaja Yoga, we learn that money is not everything.  So, just enjoy and be joyful.  

Joy.  Simple word, yet so powerful and difficult to achieve at times due to multiple obstacles towards thoughtless awareness.  How I wish I can be joyful all the time.

Wishing everyone a Happy Chinese New Year.  May the Year of the Tiger brings us fearlessness, strengthen our heart chakra, confident and security.  May Shri Mataji's love spreads to the whole world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Matka pot treatment - Night 1

Information for pregnant Sahaja Yoginis

Sahaja Yoga has cured me - Part 1