Play harmonium


Today I would like to post about playing the harmonium because I noticed that many people who came to this blog is by searching the word playing the harmonium, which was one of my earlier post. A lot of people wants bhajan notes and how to play the harmonium tips.

I started playing the harmonium in 2002 until now. I didn't learn from anyone but because I had piano background, I was able to play. In fact, it was easier to play the harmonium than a piano.

I have a student, well, kinda like my student because I taught him how to play and the tips and what note to start, how's the beat and so on.

My style of playing is western style because of the western musical knowledge that I have gained earlier. I just transfer this to the harmonium. Like I said, it was easier to play the harmonium in some ways because it is not rigid, unlike the piano you have to follow the rules or else you are considered like not a good player.

I would like to learn how to play the Indian classical harmonium in which you learn which bhajan is for which raag and then based on the raag, you just play freely. Raag is a set of music notes which have rules to it. It's very easy. Once you know what are the scale for the raag, you can just play with the notes and you won't go wrong.

Slowly I am trying to improve myself by learning the Indian classical music, what raag is for what bhajan and just go from there and I also want to learn how to play and sing at the same times, which until now remains my weakness. I have very basic knowledge of Indian classical music and from there I tried. But still the fingering and the light touch is still missing. Also, there are many bhajans I don't know what raag is based and some bhajans are based on 2 ragas. So, it's tricky. It looks easy but still it's not.

I have written harmonium notes for bhajans but it is in western notes. So far I have only shared it with those who really want to learn and of course with some conditions attached.

1. The person must be in Sahaja Yoga.
2. The person must have a western music background.

Thanks to Shri Mataji, I was able to play the harmonium by play by ear. So, if you just listened how it is being sung, you can just play it on the harmonium without any notes. A big tip is that you must know how the song is being sung, you must learn how to sing first before you start.

I love watching the Indians play the harmonium. It's just so beautiful and spontaneous. As long as you are playing within the ragas rules, you can just improvise and do amazing thing with the harmonium.

Of course you can also learn at home, no need to go to India. You just take Dr.Arun Apte's book on Music and Sahaja Yoga and you turn to the page stating which raag is for which bhajan. You also need to know the Indian notation but it is easy. Same as western. Then you just practice on the harmonium. Of course, all this is easier if you have a music background. And with a lot of clearing (without clearing is harder to be thoughtless) and meditation, you can make wonders.

So try it!!

Comments

Jai Shri Mataji!!

I was searching for a book having the notes for bhajans, I got realization in 2008, and by grace I have been able to learn table from 2009 and accompanying for bhajans in Pujas and collectives. Recently, I started to learn harmonium and singing with a tutor coming to my home to teach me. Even though I am in very basic stage of melody, and been playing the beats for sahaja yoga bhajans, I request you to share the books having the notes for the bhajans, which will be useful for me to learn bhajans slowly as I progress through my lessons also.

My email ID is Vijay.raymond@gmail.com

Jai Shri Mataji!!
AYMS's Mom said…
Dear Vijay,

I don't have the notes to play harmonium as I mostly play by ear. If you are interested in the Western notes, used by Music of Joy, you can Google online, 'sahaja yoga harmonium notes'.
Dear Yen

Thanks for the response,

Jai Shri Mataji
Unknown said…
Jai Shree Mataji
Shree Mataji brought me Sahaj 3 yrs back. I hav eno music backgroung and just started to learn harmonium. please mail me your notes. nitinnarvekar9@gmail.com
AYMS's Mom said…
Hi Nitin,

You can go to this webpage to get some harmonium notes:

https://sites.google.com/site/sahajayogamusicscores/

Yen

Popular posts from this blog

Matka pot treatment - Night 1

Information for pregnant Sahaja Yoginis

Sahaja Yoga has cured me - Part 1